Lavender Town Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yaseen., Sep 27, 2013.

1. Yaseen. 9 Tailed Rubber Hollow Slayer

Yaseen.
    Rookie
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Have anyone else heard the rumour about pokemon red's Lavender Town Syndrome?

Apparently if you played pokemon red or green while listening to the music in Lavender Town, you go crazy. I heard that kids committed suicide because of it.

If you haven't heard about it, search it up and tell me what you think.
  2. Natsu_The_Fire_Dragon_Slayer Member

Natsu_The_Fire_Dragon_Slayer
    Rookie
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I don't think anyone knows for sure, but it was little kids who supposedly committed suicide, because the music was really high pitched and it messed with their brainwaves.
  3. Ace That Guy That Likes To Draw

Ace
    Celestial
    Ratings:
    +603 / 0
    I think its just some internet myth.... I think its fake, but if it's true, damn.....
  4. Hughes Eh, who cares? Fun fact! Married to Mew

Hughes
    Beginner
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0
    I have the original song. I may be to old to hear it but damn.. It's really annoying.
    It's really screechy and depressing.
    I do not believe this actually happened I can however believe the nosebleed
  5. AaronC Inhuman

AaronC
    Celestial
    Ratings:
    +451 / 19
    As far as I know, that rumour is certainly fake, otherwise pokemon wouldn't be as popular as it got in the first place.

I think it was true though that in an old version of the game the lavender town soundtrack did have frequencies that made people feel sick and stuff, but that was fixed in a later version of the game as far as I recall.
  6. Laxus Well-Known Member

Laxus
    Evil Mage
    Ratings:
    +3,342 / 43
    I've heard about it, I listened to it and it's definitely fake.
  7. Rintaro Taichibana Shabba

Rintaro Taichibana
    Brawler
    Ratings:
    +1,653 / 17
    The rumor was real. Children in japan killed themselves after hearing the original lavender town song because it messed with their heads. It was secretely put in by three of the developers of pokemon games years ago that killed themslves. one went crazy just before a cop arreested him in the office and was saying something of the lines of stay away its comming to get you. (same thing was said by the children.) The programmers also put hidden messages in the pokemon games aswell. (Btw the original games were red and blue for some reason americans changed blue to green)
  8. Fayzhri Member

Fayzhri
    Drfiter
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I'm not entirely sure if it was real or fake but I think it's a little weird they decided to change the pitch on the music so it wasn't so high pitched.
  9. Ratchet The Lombax Triumphant

Ratchet
    Elite Mage
    Ratings:
    +1,528 / 19
    Almost certainly fake.
  10. Satsuki Kiryuin I'm leaving, leaving here.

Satsuki Kiryuin
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +407 / 1
    Pretty sure it's a net myth, but still.
    *unearthly screaming*
  11. Alibaba ~ Gone ~

Alibaba
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +943 / 4
    I heard of it, can't really say for sure if its real or not but personally I find it to be fake

But then again who knows
  12. HermannFegelein Meredy's defender :DDDDD

HermannFegelein
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +764 / 4
    Interesting.. but I don't think that the subconscious can be that strong... I'm passing this off as fake for now, but I'd like to know more about the suicides.
  13. HermannFegelein Meredy's defender :DDDDD

HermannFegelein
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +764 / 4
    From what I've searched, I can attest that this is false. I'll be presenting several accounts, and I'll be showing the inconsistencies.

I. Stories
    The Lavender Town syndrome points to a story about an investigation on the incidents. A bit odd though, is that the number of suicides was 104, the same number of cartridges that were sealed off as evidence. How could the police get all the cartridges? Did the suicides happen at one locality? It doesn't say, but it is sure suspicious.

Anyway, the first issue is the odd exactness of 104, being both the victims and the cartridges. The story goes on mentioning Tajiri and other game developers. Nothing to disprove here... yet.

This is another oddity. According to the original rumor, it was the music that caused these suicides. But Junichi Masuda, the sound director for the games, did not say anything negative about the music. It was not the music, so to speak, contrary to the belief that the game's music caused the hysteria (more on this later). So far, I've proven the inconsistency of the hype.

Next, the story mentions of how early the game's recorded playtime was. According to the story, the children barely even left Pallet Town. The title of the conspiracy theory is Lavender Town Syndrome. Something's wrong here. It's very much inconsistent. (I'll tackle more on this later)

It then goes on mentioning Sousuke Tamada, who, later on, committed suicide. What's suspicious is that Tamada worked on Pokemon Platinum, a bit well off after 1996-97. He did not commit suicide, so to speak. I did not find any entry on Chiro Muida, unfortunately.

The chief investigator plays the game after a couple of years, and when his character went to the grass (what's supposed to happen here is that Oak stops you from getting there), the expected output does not happen. Instead, he sees his wife and child, who are dead, calling him to be with them. Several children later join in, and Tamada too, and this insanity causes him to commit suicide as well. This is where the storyteller got interesting. If any consolation towards this story being of Lavender Town's horrors can be given, look no further into the Pokemon Tower on the town. If you've played the game, the building is supposedly haunted by a Marowak mother who defended his Cubone child from Team Rocket. See the resemblance? Mother and child.

In conclusion, though, the story is pretty much false.

Second story is far more creepy. I mean, I did this during nighttime, and I'm too scared like shit to do it now, so I'll do it when I can...
  14. xXsaberkenzXx Altered saber

xXsaberkenzXx
    Celestial
    Ratings:
    +496 / 2
    This syndrome is simply just an overreaction or just plain irritability
  15. Inky Pokedex holder

Inky
    Premium Member
    SS-Class
    Ratings:
    +7,942 / 26
    It is fake. Remember the episode of Pokemon called Porygon Soldier that was banned because it caused Seizures. Pokemon took a lot of flack because of the fact that many Childern in Japan had suffered seizures now imagine how much they would get if a song from their game caused people to commit suicide. There would most likely not be any X and Y talk going on today.

This urban legend as been going around for years. It is a fun story to tell but it is without a doubt false.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HermannFegelein Meredy's defender :DDDDD

HermannFegelein
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +764 / 4
    And a fun one to investigate xD If I haven't been scared shitless with what I've read, I may be having fun up until now :DDD
  17. Taiga Yang (杨汰牙)

Taiga Yang
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +417 / 1
    ehh? what the eff?

Which pot smoker had the time and effort to fabricate such a cheesy ridiculous rumor?

It's obviously fake, I'm big in the pokemon community and this is the first time I've heard of this

On an unrelated note, the Lavender town BGM is awesome, I've played Red when I was a kid and I liked hanging around that place simply to listen to the 8bit tune playing
  18. Luminous Kufufufu~

Luminous
    Brawler
    Ratings:
    +1,372 / 8
    Never heard of this rumor, and I don't really buy this story. However, I kind of agree that the Lavender town music is really really annoying, probably the only town that I dread to visit when playing Pokemon.
  19. Patty-chan The Shiny Mangaka

Patty-chan
    Talented
    Ratings:
    +425 / 1
    This is seriously scary :scared: ... And i played Pokemon Red a few weeks ago!! *gasp* oh sh*t :dead-1:... ... oh wait... don't feel any urge to kill my self :whatever:... And when i'm in Lavender city I always put the music in the game on mute and listen to some other music anyway, it's just too anoying:awkward:
  20. CarlaDragneel GOD~<3 0:)

CarlaDragneel
    Rookie
    Ratings:
    +175 / 0
    Isn't tht a tad bit extreme?